I am unhappy with the quality of repairs completed by my insurer. What can I do?

When you have been in a car accident, your insurer may have a preferred repairer that you need to visit. If you are unhappy with the quality of the work performed by this repairer, you can contact your insurer and request they rectify the repairs.

If your insurer refuses to pay for the rectifications, we recommend contacting our team. At VSRI, we can restore your car to pre-accident condition and deal with your insurer on your behalf. Our team has a 100% success rate for rectifying eligible insurance repairs and holding insurers to account.

By coming straight to our Melbourne team, you will avoid the headache of disputing your claim, which means your car is repaired faster.

We can even organise a rental car during repairs, which will also be paid for by the insurer at the end of the process.

Forget the hassle of going to Ombudsman & Insurance internal disputes – Let us take care of the hassle for you!
call 0407 400 550